Monday, June 16, 2008

The Flag Day Ride

I cannot believe we didn't mention our Saturday ride. I showed up at Panera with a small flag on my handlebars in honor of Flag Day. Just a small group this week to represent - Ray, John, Ann, Brenda and I headed out for our last team long ride!

It was a perfect day for a ride. The Saturday we've been hoping to have for weeks.

We did a quick ride up the Wabash and Interurban trails. So far, so good the ride was uneventful. Then we headed through Chatham into the country. But not so fast, a car didn't see Ann and Brenda behind me and papow....they came so close to being hit. We had the light and the right of way but that lady did not see more riders after the first 3 crossed. I am so glad you guys are ok! Way to be on your toes and peddles ladies!

Then still, heading out into the country, a doe jumps out from the fields and crosses right in front of Ray. She was gorgeous to watch once she passed - but she scared us all as she got so close.

We looped back around to Panera, Brenda and Ray peeled off to go head to their Saturday happenings. Ann, John and I wanted a few more miles and thought it was best to just do the trail again to get away from cars and deers; and that allowed Ann and John to go as fast or slow (back with me) as they needed to. Ann might have had another mishap while on the trail and John might have needed a quick pitstop - but that's not important now. ;)

In the end we hit a team high with 40+ miles. It was a perfect way to close out our Saturday training. Our team is MORE than ready for a weekend full of great miles and friendship. It's been a pleasure training with you all.

Now let's head to Dekalb Parrothead Peddlers.

4 comments:

Ray said...

Shannon,well said!! your right the weather was awesome!!! You guys did great Killing over 40 m well done!!! I do belive we are ready for dekalb i cant belive the time is now.My hope is we still do sat morning rides.Thanks for getting the sport beans!!!

Dodie said...

Way to go 40 milers. Sorry I missed the beautiful ride on our last Saturday before DeKalb. Looking forward to a great weekend of fun, friendship and lots of laughs too !!!!!

Shannon said...

I believe continued Saturday rides are definitely in order. Can we leave on time though? ROFLMAO. KIDDING!!!!

Emily K said...

Hi All! I know you don't know me, but I am friends of Beth (work with Beth too!) and Ray or is your name "Tom" LOL!

I simply love your blog! I am truly inspired by all you do! Ya know, I run... I have done 4 marathons and a lot of half marathons too. When I hear from Beth and read the mileage you all put on your bikes, I feel exhausted! :) You are all my heroes!!! I mean to think of riding 40 miles or let alone 150 miles???? I think I will pack snacks and perhaps bring a 6 pack as well. LOL!

You are all wonderful and love you because of Beth!!! (Sniff! Sniff!)