Monday, August 31, 2009

Chicago Triathlon

This crazy race all started because i was in touch with an old friend i went to school with.
My Fundraising Page I seen that harry was doing the race so i said . Hey Harry i will come up and join you for the race. his reply was that would be great. I usually run into Harry once a year at the cubs opener. other than that we dont see each other. So all you non Facebook people there is a good reason to have a facebook site.

Weeks leading up to the race i will tell you i was a little nervous about the swim!! I mean there are at least 8000 people doing this race. this year there were 9300 people and they send you off in swim waves of a 150. More on the swim later. So in getting ready for the race i tried to ramp up my running in which i did by doing the Peterburg Triathlon.

Abraham Lincoln Triathlon Series This was a good tune up for Chicago the swim was 600 yrds bike 18 m and run 4.4. Wow i did it 3rd in my age group 1st time ever ok ok there might have only been 10 guys in my age group but i was still happy - overall i was 37 out of about a 100 entries so rock on. After that i did a training run 2m State Fair parade run Followed byAbe's Amble 10k. so i had my share of running.

Getting back to the swim i was looking into the swim portion of the race - i was checking on water temp and trying to get hints on the swim and all i could find out is the water will be cold and i will need a wetsuit. I am starting think - what the hell did i get myself into?? i just wanted to see an old friend and enjoy a race. Now i need to go find a wetsuit!! I really dont want to spend money on a suit that maybe be a one time deal but i didnt want to backout either so i did it i found one marked down at USAT website and there you have it!! 1760 yards!!! in the water .9 mile swim what am i thinking??? the farthest i ever swim was 600 yrds at Peterburg -Yes i was Nervous!

I knew i needed to get a swim with the wetsuit before the race so i headed to to Anchor boat club to do a trial run with the suit. I need someone to zip me up so beth meet me at ABC to zip me. Walking thru the campground a guy yells over at me while i was wearing the suit Hey Ray That looks pretty kinky!!
Stayed tuned more of the story later!
CHOW.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your achievement!! That is really awesome Ray... cant wait to hear the rest of the story...