Thursday, September 3, 2009

Chicago Tri

Saturday morning we headed north to Chicago - we got to the Hilton by 10:30 - it was the host hotel. Got checked in - brought all the gear up to the room then it was time for packet pick-up and the expo.

I headed down to get my number and chip. I needed to go to the trouble desk because I signed up as a Clydesdale but wanted to go as an age grouper. The only reason I wanted to move to my age group was I was thinking I might have an earlier wave. I was right! I was 37 and got moved to wave 33...saved 12 min YAHOOOOO. While I was at the trouble desk I overheard a guy saying he couldn't get his race packet??? The guy at the trouble desk said there was a problem!!! Sir your race was this morning and it is over!! You should've seen the look he gave his wife who signed him up for the race!

After getting all my swag I walked around the expo, then I had a pre-race meeting, which was not mandatory but should be. While in the expo I missed a call from Harry - my old classmate that I was doing the Tri with. Harry was going to the cubs game and we were to meet up around 7pm.

After the course talk, I went to the room and got Beth and we decided to go find the course. After we walked out of the hotel, I said there are some tents - let's head that way. Wrong it was the Latin music festival!! So we kept walking, then we found the bike transition - which was huge!

We decided we would go grab a bite to eat and have a couple of cocktails. We must of walked 5 miles - probably not a great plan the day before the race, but we did make our way to Oak Street beach where the pro Volleyball tour was in town - which was sort of cool to watch.

After getting back to the hotel we decided it was time for dinner! You guessed right - Deep Dish pizza is a great pre-race meal!!!

Harry called - he was back at the hotel and was coming to the lobby to say hi - after a short meeting he wanted to have dinner and I walked to Lou Malnati's to pick up the pizza. We decided we would meet after dinner and go walk the swim-to-bike transition.

More walking - all I needed - but I did want to walk with Harry and see the course since he had done the race a couple of times. After the walk, we headed back to the hotel - 4 am was coming soon, so it was off to bed!! I was to meet Harry at 4:15 am to get the bike's into transition. Okay okay I did sneak down to the gift shop and grabbed a candy bar, or as I used to say to my Grandmother - can I get some N-O-P-W? Yes that's how I spelled candy was I was little!! As you can see my grammar never really got much better!!!! LOL

Sleep!! Not so much - I looked at the clock every hour!!

More later CHOW!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

is that a can of nuun?