Thursday, March 20, 2008

First Day of Spring/First Ride

Coincidentally (although really I don't believe in coincidence) our first ride fell on the first day of spring. Found this on wikipedia:


"Spring begins in the northern hemisphere around the months of March, April, May, or as reckoned astronomically extending from the vernal equinox. As in summer, the axis of the Earth is tilted toward the Sun, and the length of daylight days rapidly increases as latitude increases. The northern hemisphere begins to warm significantly, causing new plant growth to "spring forth", giving the season its name. Snow begins to melt, and streams swell with runoff and spring rains. Most flowering plants bloom this time of year, in a long succession beginning even when snow is still on the ground, and continuing into early summer. In normally snowless areas, "spring" may begin as early as February during warmer years, with subtropical areas having very subtle differences, and tropical ones none at all. Subarctic areas may not experience "spring" at all until May or even June, or December in the outer Antarctic."

To me - Spring is also the promise of warmer days to come - and the promise of my favorite time of year; summer.



I took my camera along tonight because I wanted a picture of us all on our first ride - I forgot about it till I got home - so Wyatt snapped this pic of me - I look like I can almost breathe normally again!


I don't know what the temperature was even tonight - all I can record here is that is was a beautiful night - the sun was out and it was a little cool - but it was nice. Sure I won't be able to sit down for a few days, but its worth it right? My first 6 miles logged on the bike! Doesn't sound like much, maybe....but its a beginning. Timely for the first day of spring and the promise of things to come :)

No comments: