Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bike Leg

After exiting the water it was a 500 yrd run to T-1. I was feeling good running towards the bike the last 75 yrds was on grass which was getting very muddy and slippery. But the crowd was great - people cheering you on the whole time!! With that said, I feel bad I have yet to volunteer to help at a race, but I plan to in 2010!! Running into T-1, I was looking for the tree where I had my bike. I was surprised to see there were lot of bikes around mine so that made me feel good that I beat some guys out of the water!

Once I reached my bike, I pulled off the wet suit, slipped my bike shoes on, grabbed my helmet and glasses and was headed towards the exit. I was doing a fast walk/run to get my legs for the bike.

Once you mounted the bike you needed to be in a easy gear because you climbed a ramp to make it onto Lake Shore Drive (LSD). As you head north on LSD, you were riding right into a 20-30 head wind - OUCH!!

The only thing I was happy about was it was 2 loops on LSD and I would have the wind at my back on the way in to T-2. I was going about 15-18 on the way out, and once I made the turn around, and the wind was at my back, I was rolling about 24-26 mph heading south feeling like a rock star - I was flying!!!! Then I was passed by a Pro (Matty Reed: US Pro Triathlete) that ended winning the race. He went by me like I was standing still! My guess he was going 35 - 38 moh on the bike - wowowowow!!

I hit the south turn around and headed back into the wind. I was thinking wow Ray you got 12 miles left then you're on the run - hammer down!! Going north into the wind I was able to chat with the riders. I was having a great time. On the bike I drank full bottle of water and 4-5 gu blocks in orange that seem to give me the energy I needed to have a great bike time!

I was almost at the turn around and I heard sirens. Then we got slowed down...I saw a male laying on his back, bloody and not moving. I was thinking o boy it was not looking good!!
Andy Potts in Chicago Triathlon Accident.

Here we go! Wind at my back, I am rocking and happy - thinking almost done with the bike Ray, take a second look at the building the lake - the people which make this a great event - it was truly amazing!!!! I was exiting LSD and people again everywhere cheering you back to T-2...what way to feel to hear all the cheering!! I was looking for Beth but with no luck she was with 200,000 of her new friends. I figure she was waiting some where on the run course??

Next up the run????

CHOW!!!

No comments: