Friday, September 11, 2009

Swim Time

Upon arriving at the swim start there were people everywhere. We headed over to his area which was Team in Training - that was his group and the reason he was doing the race. Okay at this point the BUTTERFLIES were rolling in my stomach. Now it was Hammer time!! I mean Hammer gel time!! The best gel on the market!! Raspberry gel is the flavor for me. Washed down with my spark energy water.

Its 8 am - Harry said it was time to zip up!!! The air temp was 55 and everyone was saying water feels great - its 62!! I was like WTF!!!! This whole time I had the top of my wet suit rolled down because not a pretty picture with it rolling over my belly - o well - zip time!! Harry zipped me and said lets walk over. I was thinking zipping up and peeing had something in common because as soon as I got zipped I had to pee!! I told this to Harry he was like just go in the suit. Not sure I was going that route.

They line us up in a shoot about 20 feet wide and it was 200 feet long. You line up in your flight with your swim cap color. He was flight 32 I was 33 so he was 4 min before me. When your standing in line, you're right on the sea wall so you see all the swimmers. You head south for about 400 yards, then hit a turn around buoy and head north 1400 + or - yards.

I was able to get a good look at the swimmers - omg the look on some of their faces was pure horror!! Some were treading water, some were looking for lifeboats, some doing the back stroke, some looking for the rope ties to the seawall!! I was thinking mmmmm - a great way to spend a Sunday morning!!

Here we go - I am next! Swim cap on, goggles on, the guy over the loud speaker is trying to relax us - he says, "40 seconds yellow caps, 10 seconds yellow caps" till we get in the water. Once we're in the water, we tread water for a min till we hear the horn go off! I JUMP IN! OMG IT WAS LIKE JUMPING INTO AN ICE BATH!! I am treading water with a 150 of my new best friends. Deep breaths Ray you're fine, your fine...just swim Forrest swim!!

HORN blasts!!!! Head down face hits water - omg - water fills my left eye goggle!! I pop back up, re-tighten my goggles - no luck! Water still fills lens I was like -WTF - o well keep going!!

I hit the turn around buoy, feel pretty good, just by now I really could not see and then when I tried to see ahead, one goggle was full of water and my right goggle was fogged up! I guess cold water and my body temp created the fog???

So on I went. I had a guy on my right and we were about the same pace, so I used him as my guide. Well, somewhere along the way, I lost him. To be honest with you, I was maybe 10-15 min into the race, feeling good, I thought to myself - swim over by the seawall and swim next to it, in case i get tired, there is a rope.

Well, little did I know, I was so off-base...I was 30-40 yrds from the seawall! I almost ran into a recovery boat or is it a rescue boat? Or is it a life line??? Who knows - but I was not where I thought I was!!! So at this point, I tried to angle over towards the wall. I was feeling good knowing I wasn't going to stop to rest I think I had about 500 yrds left! I could somewhat see the swim exit. Well, I thought it was the swim exit?? I was feeling like Mr Magoo!!!!

ROAD HOG GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!!
I finally am next to the seawall and I know this for sure because WHACK my left arm struck the seawall! I can see the exit! YAHOOOOO I AM GOING TO DO IT!!! My feet are numb my hands are tingly and I cant see but there was a positive the water - even though cold it was like a breath of fresh air compared to Lake Springfield!! Water had a clean fresh taste to it.

I reach the swim scaffolding. I made it! Stand up Ray...I couldn't for a second. 31 mins in the water and my legs weren't working - were they froze??? 2 girls grab my arms and I was up and running! Goggles off - cap off - I was all smiles because in the prerace meeting they said there's a camera guy right there as you exit, so I want to look fresh as a daisy! Actually, I was feeling pretty good!! I was looking for Beth as I was heading to T-1 and I saw her, yep - she was laughing and chatting with a new friend and I stopped, she snapped a picture and off I went 500 yards to T-1. I had to run barefoot! You got to be kidding me! At least they had some rugs down but when you hit the grass area it was wet slippery and muddy. I made it to T-1 and I hit the timing mat - 35 min. Now I was with, ahh, I don't know, 100k of my closest friends looking for their bikes??

UP next my trip on LSD!!!!

Cheers

(please pause the music on the music player at the bottom of the screen to hear this video)

1 comment:

Brenda said...

this pic of Mr. Magoo is GREAT - but where are YOUR pictures from the event?? please add some??