Sunday, April 20, 2008

Big ride Saturday.... Mitch leads, Ray sleeps

Saturday was a personal best for Trudy and me with a ride just under 23 miles! We started at Stuart Park and rode north up through the country to Salisbury. It was a little chilly and had a few drops of rain on us but NO wind so that was something to be happy about. It cleared up as we approached the half way point and the route was great.... very scenic and not much traffic. Trudy got to meet some St Bernards at one house as they chased her and after that we had an encounter with some wild turkeys!

The team was noticable smaller (just Mitch, Trudy and me). Shannon was pumped up and ready to go but unfortunately her tire wasn't. She had a flat and was out (those darn Presta valves). Ray had been talkin up the ride the night before and said he was looking forward to a nice long ride. I guess he was so excited about the ride it made him drink more! Anyway, Mitch stepped up and led the troops through the country, up and down some nice hills.... and there were some good hills, right Trudy?

As Mitch mentioned the key when starting to ride longer rides is to go at a reasonable pace and get comfortable with doing the distance and then you can worry about picking up the pace. Also, you need to plan breaks and keep drinking water and eat something even if you don't feel thirsty or hungry.

Great ride, great route.... definitely a route that can be added to for more miles. Thanks and great job to Mitch and Trudy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice recap Terry. Wish my tire hadn't failed me. The Trek pilot is that R&M now for a fix and a tuneup. I'm off the bike for the next week as I'm traveling all week - so it worked out that it had to go in anyway. Just would have been nicer if the tire acted up AFTER the ride!

Ray said...

Wow,Sounds like a great ride yes,i felt bad i missed the ride!!Great job on the distance that is awesome!! I can see us doing a 1/2 century very soon!!Keep up the good work Team!! Also nice to see someone else post!! Trudy lets go!!post your 1st blog!!

Trudy said...

Terry, Excellent post. Enjoyed the ride with you and Mad Man Mitch. "Just try riding UP the hills with NO hands Trudy....Really it works quite nicely!!" Missed you Shannon. Next time both bikes will be in tip top shape OR call me and I'll bring another mountain bike on which you can train. I need someone to hang back with me anyway. Ray, Brenda just left and I'm set up for blogging. Look out.