Monday, April 7, 2008

Challenge???

I left after Saturday's ride for Lake of the Ozarks. I kept the bike on the truck for a Sunday morning ride. I woke Sunday to a great morning thinking Tim and Ann got a great day for a run. I put my bike gear on and headed for Panera Bread on highway 54 in Osage Beach. Yes it was lonely with out my friends, but at this Panera they are a hell of a lot faster then in Springfield who would thought that??
I had a 1/2 bagel and coffee read St. Louis Post, which I say is as bad as SJR! Growing up in Chicago, I love the Sun Times.



My thoughts for the ride was not miles but log some seat time! I want to be ready in June when I ride the GDR!!!


Got on the bike and headed north on highway 54 towards the Bagnell Dam. Not knowing how far it was I set out to stand on the Dam. The wind was calm, legs felt good - I was feeling good!! I saw a sign for New City Park so I turn off 54 to check it out. OMG what a downhill!! Road was all gravel and I was standing on my brakes all way down. once at the bottom I saw an awesome ball field! 1st thought FIELD OF DREAMS. The boys would love to play there.


As I roll towards Lake Ozark and Bagnell dam I see a deer jump right in front of me and down into a valley. Was a neat site. As I ride I see something out of the corner of my eye run towards me - I was like dammit a dog. No a beaver - o boy - good!! Did i just say run about a beaver?? Was he going fast or was i going that slow???




Coming into Dog Patch or the strip as people call it! Its filled with shops that you remember back when you were a kid on vacation, running into each one looking for that perfect TOM-TOM or homemade fudge.

I made it to the dam. There is a narrow walkway about 30" wide to ride on so it was tight. I wanted to snap a picture or two, but I have to tell you the way the water was pouring out so fast I was little freaked out!! Sounds weird but it was spooky!!

As I make my way back I realize I made a mistake!! The wind hit me!! I was thinking great i got 7.5 miles to ride, and all the hills!! Give you a idea about the ride - I went 15 total miles - avg 10 mph and about 1:45 on the saddle!!


Yes, this morning I thought Ray go get the paper and have a greasy breakfast!! As I rode past all the greasy spoons in dog patch the smell was wonderful. But I was glad I challenged myself and went for a ride. Sure eggs and bacon would been better then a bagel - or is it just in your mind???

The Healys challenge themselves to a 1/2 that morning, were they thinking no kids - a sit down breakfast might me nice?? I am sure they were smelling some greasy spoons also!! But after they were done I am sure they were as happy as I was in making the right choice. John Coombe challenged himself with a 1/2 Saturday and I could see he was happy he made the right choice!!

If your still reading at this point. I challenge you next time you think about going for a solo ride, but say "I don't have time I need to make breakfast, clean the house or do yard, or I need to go shopping!!" - take the hour and get on your bike - I challenge you!! I promise when you get back you will feel great about yourself. You will get more done!! Lets face it - you will walk around the house dreading which task to tackle 1st!! And at the end of the day more will get done because you took time for yourself!!

3 comments:

Craig, The Flanders Fat Cat said...

Cool pictures and good advice. You've got the bug.
I linked you up.
Oh, are you getting the jerseys?

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun time. I always go for solo rides. LOL.

Ray said...

Hey thanks yes looks like we are getting jersesy!!
How cool would it be if we got all the people together for a blog ride? meet in a city that new to everone!
1st annual blog ride?? people from all over the country??
Ray
It was fun killer hills tho...solo rides gd!!